"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
   Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Deuteronomy 31:8

Friday, January 4, 2013

Starting New Diet

Luella will be starting her new diet (GAPS) on Saturday. I've been busy this week making chicken stock and preparing to get started. I have mixed feelings about all of this. I'm anxious and excited; hopeful that we will see a reduction in seizures and also nervous and sad about taking away her favorite foods and wondering how she will respond to basically getting broth/soup for every meal and snack. This is NOT an easy diet. It goes beyond food too. We have to be careful about everything that Luella comes in contact with - soap, lotion, play-doh, paint, etc.... I pray that we will know early on if this is helping her.

It's been one week since her last seizure. Last Friday we took the kids to Chuck E Cheese and she had a seizure in the play tubes there. She had a quite a long time playing before the seizure so I was glad she got to have some fun. It was a quick seizure and she even recovered fairly quickly and we still got to enjoy the Christmas lights at Falls Park.

Tonight (Friday) we went out to eat one last time all together. We went to Texas Roadhouse and the kids had a blast with the peanuts there!! Some of the waitresses did a line dance next to our table and Luella really got into that and clapped right along. It was fun and no seizures!

We ask that you pray for Luella as she starts this diet - pray that she accepts the food. Pray for me as I will spend much time preparing Luella's food and learning how to make new things. Pray for the other kids as they will have to make adjustments to their eating as well. Pray for Jim as he'll have to deal with me all stressed out!! :-) Untimely we pray for God's will to be done - whether that means this diet will help Luella or not. I know that whatever happens He will continue to lead us in the direction we are to go. Please pray with us. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Heather...my thoughts and prayers are with you. I was extremely overwhelmed with the keto diet at first...with the time intensive prep work, all the supplements, adjustments with the rest of the family etc... As a matter of fact, my hope was that the diet would not be the answer for Ben but that we would find something different. It started helping him to a degree that we felt it was worth it though. I definitely feel like the Lord is teaching me something about patience and sacrifice. I still can't stand the diet, but I love what it does for my son.
    Bless you and Luella!

    ReplyDelete