"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
   Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Deuteronomy 31:8

Monday, September 17, 2012

Here we go....

We have officially started Luella on her new diet!! Luella is doing the Low Glycemic Index Treatment (LGIT) diet to see if we can get better seizure control.

In case you've missed some previous posts, the LGIT consists of eating only low glycemic AND low carbohydrate foods. Luella will be limited to 60 grams of carbs total during a day. Just to give you an idea of how many carbs are in the foods you eat on a daily basis...  1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread has 13g, a serving of potato chips has 15g, a can of Mt Dew has 46g, one large order of McDonald's french fries has 63g!!! Luella will only be allowed to have about 15g per meal (15x3=45g) and the remaining 15g each day will be for snacks. Eating low carb is a bit challenging but taking into account the gylcemic index makes things even more challenging. The glycemic index (GI) is a measurement of glucose (blood sugar) level increase from carbohydrate consumption. A low-GI food will release glucose more slowly and steadily.

This basically cuts out sugary snacks and drinks, grain-based foods (pasta, bread), some fruits, etc... Luella will be able to eat meat, cheeses, some veggies, and some fruits (in small quantities - she got 6 grapes at breakfast with her eggs!). I am still exploring, trying to find some more ideas but we have a good platform to start right now.

Thinking back to when we first started thinking about dietary approaches to seizure control, I actually didn't want to think about it. We had talked about doing the Ketogenic Diet a year ago last summer and when we didn't - I was relieved. Then this spring when we talked about the LGIT with Luella's neurologist, I didn't want to think about it again. I have done a lot of praying about this. I know it will be hard on Luella to not have the cookies / candy / ice cream and also a change for our family since we can't eat those things in front of Luella. I'm happy to say that I feel pretty good about starting this diet now, not "great", but I'm positive about it and I hope that we see some reduction in Luella's seizures. Maybe having two seizures last week, and the last one giving me such a scare, gave me the push I needed!! Thanks for all of your prayers too to get me to this comfortable point!!

This past weekend was Luella's last hurrah - getting to have cake and LOTS of frosting at her baby cousin's 1st birthday party! My next challenge will be trying to figure out how to make and decorate a cake for Luella's 3rd birthday next month and how (or if) we go Trick or Treating! We are committed to trying this for a couple of months before we decide if it's working or not.

Enoying CAKE!






5 comments:

  1. Hi Heather:
    You had lots to consider before deciding to go forward with this diet. Last summer, we found out Nolan had eosinophic esophagitis and allergies to five foods - onions, tomatoes, peanuts, egg whites/yolks, and corn. It is nothing compared to what you are doing for Luella; however, it was harder for me to cook for all of us. What we found out thought was how much better Nolan felt and how sick he really did get when he cheated or didn't know there was something in a food that he was allergic too. So just from that perspective, I want to encourage you and hope you get some positive results from this diet. I am sure the rest of your family will be of great help as the other siblings want to see Luella do well too! You have been throught so much already and I hope and pray that this will provide some relief from seizure activity.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you and Luella the best with this diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! I think of you guys often weighing every gram!! I hope things continue to go well for Ben!!

      Delete
  3. Your family is in our thoughts as you try this new diet - and we pray for strength for you to resist those sugary temptations!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Yes... maybe this will help me shed a few pounds!! :-)

      Delete