"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
   Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
Deuteronomy 31:8

Friday, February 1, 2013

Just shy of two weeks...

I was hoping to write a celebratory post tomorrow saying we had made it two weeks seizure-free.... but she didn't quite make it. Luella has been doing really well all this week. She has almost fully recovered from the bad cold she had two weeks ago that resulted in four seizures in just two days. She still has a bit of a runny nose but no fever or cough. Tonight after supper she had a seizure. It stopped fairly quickly after giving her midazolam. She slept a little and then woke up for a couple books then bedtime.

We had really hoped to see these seizure-free runs stretching out longer and longer now. As of this past Sunday Luella is on a 100% Full GAPS diet!!! This slower transition has been really pretty easy on her. She does occasionally ask for M&Ms or "just a couple chocolate chips" but she handles it well when I tell her no. I've been trying LOTS of new recipes and she pretty much eats it all... sometimes with a little bribery but she's doing great. It's been an adjustment for the older kids who like to have a yogurt or ice cream after meals sometimes. We've found some good substitutes. A favorite is blended up frozen banana with other fruit. The rest of us aren't Full GAPS. Luella eats breakfast and lunch on her own so we can cheat at those meals. I've been making home made sour cream and yogurt and Luella really enjoys both of those.

This first week cooking Full GAPS for Luella has kept me very busy. I'm lucky if I get to leave the kitchen a couple of times a day! My feet and back are feeling the pain! If I'm not meal planning or prepping for the next meal there are loads of dishes to wash. Cooking from scratch takes time! As these recipes become more familiar I'm hoping things will speed up a bit and I plan on doing some freezer cooking and stocking up. It is a great feeling to know that the food we are eating is so healthy and I know exactly what's in it! So far the Cilantro Lime Chicken is one of my favorites!! I'm going to try and stick with our tradition of pizza for the Super Bowl and make Luella a pizza with a cauliflower crust! We'll see... :-)

I want to thank all of you for the continued prayers for Luella. All of this is in God's hands and we are anxious to see what the GAPS diet can do for her. I know I've also felt the prayers for myself as I've been researching GAPS and trying these recipes. Thank you for all your support!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that things are going so well with the diet Heather :)!

    ReplyDelete